Friday, February 11, 2011

2-11-11, Day 159

To Mandy:


LUCKY FROM THE STREET



“What’s undeniable is that nobody wants to listen to a man like me.”

Usually that would have included me with rapid strides right by, but he was persistent, locking steps with me and following me down the street.  There was something quirky, hurky jerky about him that made me want to smile.

“I’m calling Gavin Newsom (former mayor of SF),” he said pointing with his left hand at the thumb and pinky telephone he was miming with his right. 

The mayor was taking a long time to answer.  We walked along in silence for about a half a block, bits and pieces of leaves and trash clung to his jacket.  He hummed what sounded like “All Along the Watchtower” under his breath.

“Hello, Gavin?  This is Lucky calling from the STREET.”  His nappy head shook with the emphasis on STREET. 

I made the mistake of looking at him, a side long glance only, but enough encouragement to spur him on.

“Now that I have your attention, Mr. Gavin,”  he yelled into his imaginary phone in earnest, “I want you to hear me out.  I got no change in my pockets and I needs you to bestow one of those promises you made to us on your campaign trails.” 

I reached my destination, broke stride and began to veer away.  He cut me off and stood facing me, now shouting into his phone with a mouthful of missing teeth.

“No.  Don’t you dare hang up on me Gavin.  I’m not gonna be one of the one’s getting’ stuck here in the gutter.”

People were beginning to gather.

“Lucky, I’ve got to go,”  I mouthed the words so as not to interrupt his conversation.

“My friend here, she’s got a job to do, so I’m saying good-bye now.  Don’t you forget about me, ya here, or I’ll call again.  Lucky from the STREET,” he clicked off the finger phone.” 

People started cheering, “Go, Lucky.  Awwright, Lucky.” 

A wacky grin took over his face and he stepped away from me, basking momentarily in his two seconds of fame before sauntering on down the street, humming what I swear sounded like “There must be some kinda way outta here, said the joker to the thief…”

FROM MANDY:
Before...
After...introducing Scone the Spider

  

No comments:

Post a Comment