Wednesday, February 9, 2011

2-9-11, Day 157

To Dan:
The parking lot at Mount Madonna where I left Kathy and Babs on Sunday, awaiting transformation.  What isn't visible in this picture is the stunning vista of the Pacific Ocean several miles away and the humble dorm room with humble beds lined shoulder to shoulder and loft reached by crude ladder with mattresses on the floor that will be their home for the next seven days.  Note Babs' large orange suitcase and wonder how that will be absorbed into this space.   For these two, transcendence will not be illusive.  
More Mount Madonna
FROM Dan:


It seems every year I fall in love with a new type of plant.  This is unplanned, but sure enough I find myself head over heels digging up all I can on something new.  I do not forget my loves of the past, rather include them into my new obsession.  This time around I have fallen for orchids.  I have always thought of them as some beautiful creatures, but they were beyond my understanding.  I have had them in the past but they would sit with a few leaves and begging for more attention.  For some reason the sad looking orchids around the house started calling to me when I returned from India.  I heard their pleas and actually understood what they were saying, "Give me water and some more light."  It was easy enough and now the few plants that have survived from the past are putting out flowering stems and praising my name.

As most of my obsessions go I begin to look around and see what more I can collect of my new found interest.  While doing some wheatgrass deliveries last week in Venice I noticed a sign for an orchid show.  I went on Sunday and was overwhelmed and inspired by all of the stunningly beautiful different species of orchids and their infinite hybrids.  I felt dizzy while walking around the room, drunk on the amazing colors of life.  As obsessions go I had to get another orchid and I had my eyes on the paphiopedilum species.  Though they are known as a slipper orchid I think they look like a crazy plant face.  There were not many people selling this type of orchid and I was told by a vendor that most people are not interested in them.  He said that they are not showy enough.  Well, as usual I disagree with most people and find this type to be the most mystical.  The kind I bought was very simple; only white and green.  However, its funny face brightens up my day.  I hope that one day it will be just as specular as the orchids on display at the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment