Saturday, September 11, 2010

9-11-10 Day 6

To JP:
Ink and watercolor.





I don't draw often any more.  My eye/hand coordination has moved to another country.  I'd like to get those chops back and look forward to plenty of practice this year.  This looks like the crooked little house, barely standing after a major earthquake.  It's actually a lovely, upstanding Victorian on Guerrero St. in SF, near Baretta, one of my favorite restaurants.


From JP:

September 11, 2010

For my first of many I wanted to write a mini blog. Today is 9/11/10 and there was a beautiful ceremony at my place of work for all those that were touched by this day 9 years ago. I came into my day excited to be able to partake in such a nice thing for a large hotel to do even though they did not have to do anything. Color Guard was brought in from the local aeronautical university, the chief of police, and even one of the most well known lieutenants for the fire department. They were all there to give brief moments of recap for all of us to not take for granted this day and remember it as it should be remembered. I was talking with a few of my employees after and it is amazing how everyone remembers exactly where they were when the events of this day 9 years ago unfolded. I personally was taking a short break from real college and in community college back home. I was on the way into a sociology class with 50 of my classmates and remember watching the planes crash into the Towers on live television. It is a memory that will be engraved in my brain likely forever. I then realized how many people have already forgotten about this day in our history, not even that far past. People that felt inconvenienced that we shut down half of the hotel to take the time to remember those that lost their lives. It makes me ashamed to know that there are people that whether directly impacted or not simply shrug it off as though it never happened for anyone. At least I can say I will always remember…



No comments:

Post a Comment