Wednesday, September 8, 2010

9-6-10 Day 1




THE CHALLENGE:
The following e-mail was sent on August 30 to about 25 family members.  To my surprise, within 8 hours, five had enthusiastically signed on and by the next day a total of nine were in.  Not wanting to exclude anyone, I offered to create two pieces on two days of the week--nine for me each week.  Crazy?  Without a doubt. Whether or not that's "good crazy" or "bad crazy" remains to be seen.  I'm just excited to have these nine with me on this journey to the unknown.  b


You all know that I've done three projects where I dutifully (obsessively) made something every day for a year--the picture a day and words year; the collage every day; and the post card a day.  I'd like to do another that this time would include seven other people, hopefully seven of you.  The idea is that I would create something every day--a sketch, watercolor, collage, photo, poem, cartoons, jokes, etc., and send it to one of seven people who agree to do the same one day a week and send it to me.  I'll create one piece every day and seven others will make one piece only once a week.  If it's a photo, it could be sent electronically as long as it's okay for me to make a print.   But I'm hoping that you'll be inspired to make other kinds of crazy creations and send them through the last gasps of the USPS.  And if you get busy and know you won't have time one week, you can ask a guest you to sit in.  Or, team up with someone else for the year.  

Why do I want to do this?  I'll be able to explain with more conviction at the finish line, but with the past three, I've found that keeping that commitment every day is an opportunity to put a non-ordinary spin on any kind of a day, adding an intonation that isn't grammatical--or something like that.  And doing this with seven of you, my wildly creative family, anything could happen.  Don't even think art, just think fun.  

Ashley's already signed on (she volunteered enthusiastically, really).  Are six more people game to join me in this adventure?  Labor Day is an auspicious date for me and the time when I started the other projects, so I'd like to begin on Monday, 9/6.  Let me know what you think.

Xo,
B



To Ashley



Embroidery on linen.  First in series of three.


From Ashley:


Draft of birthday party invitation e-mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment