Saturday, October 2, 2010

10-2-10, Day 27

To JP:
GENIUS BAR







I had an appointment at the Apple Store Genius Bar recently about my scanner driver installation.   I visited the Genius Bar once before about five years ago for help with a dead 2nd generation iPod that I inherited from Ashley.  If not a genius, the person who waited on me then was definitely a Prince.  He cheerfully and chattily diagnosed the problem, AND recovered all of Ashley’s music files that she thought were lost forever, and e-mailed them to her.   These are different times and this year’s model genius is a new breed, of a darker nature.  There also seemed to be a virus going around up and down the bar, with actual germs and symptoms of a contageous nature like hacking and wheezing.  

I was happy that the genius assigned to my case was a female genius.  But she was a no eye contact, few words, unhappy genius.  The thought bubble above her head seemed to be:  woman, over 60, analog thinker, trouble.  I called on my highly articulate tech self to describe my problem in a way that even a genius could relate to.  She could barely conceal her boredom with my gnat sized problem and went about the work of downloading this and that, uttering not a word.  A silent genius.  I joined her in the Zenness of it, keeping the koans that were bubbling up in my mind to myself.   She worked efficiently and swiftly and did a fine job.  In the end, I thanked her humbly without too much potentially embarrassing profusion.  We parted as we’d met without fanfare.

From JP:




No comments:

Post a Comment